In his Blog on Forbes.com, expert in Online Reputation Management Andy Beal has written down 11 unwritten laws dealing with online reputation. Which actually means that now they are no longer unwritten…Anyway, many people (above all Yasnians aware of their reputation) should know about these rules already. Problematic in my opinion is the fact that no difference is made between persons and companies in these 11 laws. Tips on how to manage and cultivate the online reputation may very well differ.
However, these laws suit well as a base for discussion. So here they are: the 11 Unwritten Laws of Reputation Management:
1. Everyone has an online reputation.
2. Your reputation is an extension of your character.
3. Every reputation has a weak spot.
4. Listen and react to criticism and problems.
5. Listen to the majority and find fans.
6. Interact with your customers where they are
7. Give your customers the chance of direct communication.
8. Your reputation will be attacked sooner or later.
9. Saying sorry may save you money.
10. Three mistakes concerning your reputation and you’re out.
11. The laws of Reputation Management will change.
What do you think? Some of the points apply to both: persons and companies. But still as mentioned earlier a differentiation is important when setting up laws.